Fashion buyers use their sense of style, knowledge of fashion trends, and understanding of their target customers’ needs to create a focused fashion assortment. Buyers are responsible for selecting and purchasing apparel and accessories from manufacturers, designers, or wholesalers so they must have a strong understanding of past, present, and future fashion trends. Buyers must be strong at budgeting and planning inventory so that their product flow and assortment matches seasonal investment requirements and seasonal fashion trends. Buyers must use their communication, sourcing, product knowledge, analytical and creative abilities to positively impact the bottom-line profit of his/her responsibilities/categories. To achieve budgeted sales, GM/ROI, stock turn and inventory levels for categories by planning, selection, purchasing, pricing, controlling and promotions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
• Communicate effectively and coordinate needs with Planner, Allocations, Buyer’s Assistant, Design, QC and Supervisor.
• Partner with the Design Team to lead the creation of specification and detail packages for private label programs
• Supervise approval of product prior to production
• Vendor development and correspondence, regarding product development, order placement, delivery follow up, initiation of new orders, PO revisions and cancellations, shipping, packing, pre-ticketing
• Market Visits and Research, Competition Reports
• Store visits to audit product assortment, allocation, visual set up
• Proactive communication of new ideas, proposals, concepts etc.
• Initiate and maintain PO/price changes; write worksheets, purchase authorizations, revise purchase orders.
• Participate in sales, product & merchandise meetings.
• Coordinate photo shoot samples.
• Communicate and act as a liaison with all areas of the company as it applies to the purchase, delivery, receipt, ticketing, processing, pricing, and quality of merchandise.
• Create and analyze buying reports
• Stay abreast of fashion trends, market climate, competition, promotional & test strategies (and assess the results and effect of each.)
• Plan product assortment, focusing on cost, price points, key items, vendor, promotions, for areas of responsibility in concert with supervisor.
• Negotiate with vendors to develop merchandise with the best possible price/value relationship in the marketplace; possess knowledge of fabric, cut/make/trim of a garment, and the best country to source that garment.
• Analyze performance and plans constantly to look for sales and margin opportunities that can exceed plan; adapt quickly to changes/trends occurring in the business and in the marketplace.
• Partner with Visual team to help create ongoing effective store merchandise floor plans and promotions.
• Establish critical skills of people management and people development.
• Analyze business reports, OTB, Buying Plans, Assortment Plans , Open Order, Velocity, and Class Sales Ranking Reports.
• Access all buying functions in AS400
• Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Related Work Skills
• Minimum of 2 years of working Fashion Merchandising experience
• Post Secondary education in Fashion is an asset
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative to achieve departmental and corporate objectives
• Previous work experience with suppliers and buyers
• Strong time management and multitasking skills
• Computer literacy with working experience in MS Office, particularly Excel and AS400
• Ability to work independently while being a strong team player
• Available to travel as required
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Bluenotes is an equal opportunity employer. If chosen to participate in the selection process, accommodations are available upon request. We will consult with the applicant to provide or arrange suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.