YM Inc. was founded on the strength of a single retail store in the heart of downtown Toronto in 1975, under the name Stitches. Today we are one of North America’s leading apparel retailers operating over 700 stores across Canada and the United States under the following banners: Stitches, Urban Planet, Urban Behavior, Sirens, Urban Kids, Suzy Shier, Bluenotes, West 49, Amnesia, Brooks Brothers, Mandee and Charlotte Russe.
Our goal is to sustain performance that exceeds expectations. We are committed to creating a culture where people feel valued and inspired to achieve results. We give our people the appropriate tools, freedom and authority to make decisions. They are accountable for their actions and we recognize their efforts and reward their results. We attract and nurture the best people by providing leadership opportunities, career development and continuous learning. We are committed to leading by example and with integrity. We treat people with respect and dignity, promote the benefits of diversity and address challenges in a direct and compassionate manner. We engage people in our goals and objectives; we listen and act on new ideas where possible. That is our Philosophy.
The Graphic Designer – Buying is responsible for assisting in the drive and definition of graphics, from concept to final design, with brand specific graphics that are cutting-edge and fresh. This role will collaborate with the Design team and the Buying Department to ensure that all needs of the business are met and product aligns with our merchandise production schedule and reflects current market trends.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Create and design original artwork for apparel, including all over print design, graphic art and apparel marketing designs (i.e. hangtags)
• Determine size and arrangement of illustrative material and arrange layouts based on aesthetic design concepts
• Present samples of finished designs to Design Manager
• Assist in creation of design concepts and board presentation for each season
• Work closely with Design and Buying teams to ensure a cohesive line is realized
• Develop themes and concepts using inspiration from samples and market research to establish seasonal graphics direction
• Create and develop labels, tags and branding accessories for apparel product
• Actively participate in the conceptual development of product lines, collaborating with apparel designers to expand graphics presence in apparel line
• Act as an expert resource on graphic product aesthetic and graphic processes
• Conduct store visits and competition reports
• Stay abreast of trends and new printing techniques and resources in Graphic design
• Post-secondary education in Graphic Design
• 3+ years’ experience in Graphic Design
• Experience with the preparation of print files for production
• Proficient in Adobe Illustrator CS +, Adobe Photoshop CS +, Adobe InDesign skills, Acrobat 6
• Experience designing for a junior target market an asset
• Previous experience with fashion and/or screen-printing an asset
• Proficient on MAC and PC
• Proficient in Microsoft Office
As a result of Covid-19, most of our employees presently work remotely. This position will be required to attend the office, during which time strict safety protocols are in place. We are currently utilizing a virtual hiring process and interview candidates by phone or Zoom/Teams.
YM Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest: However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If chosen to participate in the selection process, accommodations are available upon request. We will consult with the applicant to provide or arrange suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.