Established in 1995, West 49 quickly built a reputation as Canada’s #1 men’s, ladies & boys actions sports retailer offering a vast selection of branded & private label apparel, footwear, accessories & hardgoods. Carrying the most coveted brands in the industry including Vans, DC, Converse, Billabong, Quicksilver and many more, West 49 has positioned itself as the go-to destination for action sports enthusiasts across the country. In addition, West 49’s private label merchandise has become an essential part of the product mix offering a competitive alternative to our customer. As Canada’s #1 action sports retailer we continue to grow and maintain our position within the industry in our neverending pursuit to “Make Dreams Happen!”
We are currently seeking an Assistant Manager for our Oakville Place location in Oakville, ON.
An inspirational leader of the Management team, whose main responsibility it is to maximize store sales and effectively manage wage cost through strategic and successful business management by ensuring customer satisfaction and employee development.
D* *uties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Training, Coaching and Development:
- Provide training and orientation to new employees
- Provide fair, ongoing and effective training and coaching to all store level employees so that they can successfully execute their jobs
- Observe employee performance every shift and have subsequent discussions with the employees regarding performance, progress and development
- Hold employees accountable through a fair and consistent performance management process
- Counsel and effectively resolve performance issues through effective coaching, Performance Improvement Plans and Development Plans
- Ensure and manage employee compliance with Company policies. (e.g. dress code, cell phone, lateness policy)
- Provide discipline to store level employees in accordance with the Company’s discipline policies
- Is knowledgeable in and uses all available training resources to maximum benefit
- Actively participate in his/her own training by putting in to practice what has been learned
- Complete annual assessments for all Management and store employees
- Terminate employment, as long as termination criteria is met
- Ensure the store consistently meets and adheres to Health and Safety policy guidelines by creating a safe work place
Hiring and Succession Planning:
- React with a sense of urgency to recruitment needs while utilizing all tools available
- Conduct interviews and extend offers of employment
- Conduct reference checks on potential hires
- Responsible to ensure store is well staffed with skilled and experienced employees who meet Company expectations
- Ensure a commitment to retaining the best talent by creating an environment where, fair and just management is practiced and employees feel valued and respected
- Consistent and strategic commitment to succession planning
- Be committed to internal promotion and employee career pathing
Customer Service Excellence:
- Ensure all customers have a memorable and enjoyable shopping experience at all times
- Ensure the store is Neat, Clean & Organized (NCO) at all times, including the back room and washrooms
- Ensure all employees are committed to providing friendly and knowledgeable service
- Respond appropriately to customer inquiries and concerns and make decisions, whenever possible, in favour of the customer
- Project professionalism and Company image in both attitude and attire by adhering to dress code practices and all corporate policies and practices
- Effectively utilize time management skills to react with a sense of speed and urgency to get the job done promptly and efficiently while meeting Company objectives, within set timelines
- Complete schedules
- Assign and distribute duties to employees
- Maintain the employee Requested Time Off Calendar
- Maintain Employee Availability Forms
Sales and Wage Cost:
- Ensure store meets sales plan and wage cost, utilizing available resources to maximize business opportunities and respond strategically and promptly to fluctuations in the business
- Ensure strategic and successful inventory management, including the prompt activation of markdowns
- Ensure the Management team and employees are prepared and suited to work towards meeting sales objectives
- Manage the “On Call” process, including determining which employees are to be called in for additional shifts or sent home during slow periods
- Ensure store Loyalty Card sales are met
- Ensure visual merchandising and marketing strategies/direction are implemented as per Company direction within required timeframes
- Ensure effective maintenance of visual merchandising standards in the store
- Provide guidance to the visual team in terms of visual execution
- Effective participation and execution of visual launches
- Support activation of markdowns
- Solid understanding of store’s visual directives including colours, fabrics, trends and designs: an ability to analyze and maximize fashion knowledge.
- Ensure store achieves shrink target
- Ensure Loss Prevention policies and practices are adhered to in order to reduce internal and external losses
- Conduct employee bag checks before and after an employee’s shift
- Ensure administration policies and procedures are adhered to
- Notify the District Loss Prevention Manager of any LP related concerns
- Ensure recall, damages and transfers are prepared and ready to be authorized during District Manager’s visit
- Store Level
- Physically demanding work in a store environment
- Standing on your feet for an extended period of time
- Lifting and ladder climbing required
- Degree or certification in Retail Management
- Business Management or 3+ years’ experience in retail management
Related Work Skills
- Effective leader and communicator who is professional and reflects Company values in both attitude and attire
- Strong team building skills
- Time management, organizational and multi-tasking ability
- People person, with strong ability to communicate with customers and employees
- Understand the principles of optimal customer service
- Strong merchandising and presentation skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Effective follow up methods
- Committed to excellence
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
What’s in it for you?
- 20-50% discounts at West 49 and Amnesia !
- 20% discount across our group of companies!
- Amazing growth opportunities across Canada including home office!
- Benefit plan for full-time employees!
- Fun and team focused environment that supports the action sports lifestyle!
What’s in it for us?
With a sense of BELONGING to the action sports industry, you start your day with a desire to achieve sales targets, build a strong sales team, and CONNECT to our Customers by creating a visually impactful West 49 location. Proper planning, organizing and delegating, allows you to INSPIRE and prepare your sales team for a fast pace, sales driven and customer focused sales floor. While your recruiting, training and coaching permits you to build your dream team, your visual merchandising skills add value to the overall look of the store. And, your ability to adapt and be flexible during regular or high peak seasons means you’ll FULFILL the goals set for you and your store.
West 49 (2015) Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. If chosen to participate in the selection process, accommodations are available upon request. We will consult with the applicant to provide or arrange suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.